Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...

Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...
Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Trip That Nearly Gave Me Frostbite!

I recently had my car stolen (if you have been reading along) and lost all of my gear and did not get to go on the trip that I had planned for my birthday.  Ever since I have been jonesing for a little outdoors activity and I finally got enough gear to go packing!

On Friday I had gone to REI and purchased my new sleep system,  the Big Agnes Encampment 15 sleeping bag and the Big Agnes insulated air core sleeping pad.  These items were made to go together.  The sleeping pad provides the insulation on the bottom and slips into a uninsulated sleeve on the bottom of the sleeping bag, making the whole system one unit.  I had read the reviews, and they were not entirely uplifting, but I thought that the technology was sound and that if used correctly I could sleep in cool conditions down in the low twenties comfortably.

The trip I finally planned was with my buddy Mike, and it consisted of a wintery getaway up the Momyer trail in the San G Wilderness an hour from my house.  We would stay one night and planned on sleeping in the snow, but were definitely not prepared for what befell us.

I am a stickler for being prepared, and I pride myself on my wilderness know how and ability.  However, like all woodsmen,  sometimes you just have to say "what the heck" and go out even if you think it might be too challenging.  I have always said that a good trip is always the one that you wish you hadn't taken on the last mile of the trail!

We packed according to the weather, planning on making a tarp shelter and we also brought along a three season tent just in case we needed to double up.  On my previous winter outing in the San G Wilderness I have never needed a four season tent and have always used a three season with a little tarp wind protection.

We left Mikes house about eleven o'clock and picked up a few food items that we needed.  We then went to the trailhead and saw the mounds of snow and suddenly began to rethink our decision.

The weekend had received a storm warning and that night was supposed to receive around two-three feet of snow and go down into the teen temperatures.

Non the less we packed up and headed out.  I, being the  genius of the group had suggested that we hike in only Vibram Fivefingers, since I had done six miles in mild snow with my Treksports the previous month.  (This was with my wife on a day hike mind you! And not in snow falling conditions, all the snow had been old, and thats what I expected for this trip! Silly me.)  Mike of course, being the guy who got me into barefoot shoes, thought it was a grand idea.  We took pictures from the start of the trailhead, and headed out to our first obstacle,  a snowy creek crossing.

We found a spot to go over the creek, but it required a jump of around four feet to clear the creek.  I placed my treking poles in the stream and with an old "Heav-Ho" I jumped across the water.  I hear an ominous splash from the creek as I landed dryly, and turned to see my camera floating down stream!  I hadn't zipped it into my pocket and it had taken a dive.  (It's ok folks, it was around ten years old, and thats why I don't have any pics of the beginning of the trip!)  Mike decided to throw his pack to the other bank before jumping, and it landed and rolled into the water!  I saved it without it getting totally soaked, but he lost his walking stick down the river in the process.  What a beginning to a crazy trip!

Mike Trying to decide how to negotiate the creek (pre-dropped stick!)

We began hiking through the snow, and our feet wern't getting that cold.  I mean, ya, they were cold, but the ability to move the toes independently and the rate of hike made it livable.  The snow was only around two inches deap and made hiking easy with the sure grip of our barefoot shoes.  

Mike about a quarter mile into the hike

Incline Increases

View of the creek and trailhead from the hillside

We kept heading up and about two miles into the trek Mike started to get a cramp in his calf, oh, and it started snowing like crazy! We decided to take a break and let his leg loosen up.

Me during our break in the snow

Mike feeling the burn! (cramp that is)

We got back on the trail and it kept on coming down.  Sure, it would subside for a few minutes, but as we gained elevation the wind picked up and the snow started to pile up.  Mike kept cramping up (don't workout your legs in the gym the day before a hiking trip in the snow!) and so, with the little daylight left we decided that I should go on ahead to get camp setup started while he slowly made his way up the trail through the deepening snow.  And Mike, buddy, I'm not nocking you on this trip, we all have our tough ones, this one was yours!

I arrived at the campsite around 5 PM, with just enough light left to get our A-frame tarp set up, ground cloth down, and tent set up under the A-frame (since I new we would need all the shelter that we could get).  It continued to snow, and by then my feet were freezing, since I had stopped my speedy hike through knee deep snow.  

Mike got to the camp around 5:30 PM and helped me set up the last little bit.  We got our gear into the tent and huddled there, massaging our freezing tootsies!  It took my toes about an hour in wool socks and ugg boots to thaw out.  Meanwhile, the snow just kept on coming!

We ate a quick meal and had a warm cup of coffee to get the chill out of us before we went to bed.  What a miserable night it was.  But it could have been worse!  The snow built up around us and started to pull down the A-frame.  We put a space blanked under the tent's rain fly and then, a few minutes later, tested the temperature inside our little shelter.  50 degrees and climbing!  Thanks again Dual Survival!  (A discovery channel show for those of you who don't know)  The temp outside was around 17 degrees and dropping.  We got into our bags and hit the sack.  I was so happy with the performance of my Big Agnes sleep system!  They make good quality stuff.  The only thing I will say about it, is that the design makes it difficult to sleep on your side if the hood on the bag is drawn tight, which is allot of the reason I bought it, since I am a side sleeper.  But other than that minor detail, it performed admirably!

Upon awakening, we saw that our shelter had drastically shrunk during the night!  The snow had been pounding us all night and we, in our little makeshift shelter, had become entrenched by the nights snow.  

A shot of our shelter the morning after

Me trying to make my way out of the tent in the morning

We got up and it was so dismally cold that we didn't know where to begin!  We new that we needed water.  And we needed to get our camp cleaned up.  Having melted snow for out dinner the previous evening, we didn't want to use up all our fuel doing the same, so I we decided to divide and conquer.  I, being the only one with snow gear, nominated myself to go and get water from the creek.  Mike would stay behind and dig out the camp, re-rig the tarps, and get breakfast ready.

I thought that I had chosen the easiest of the two tasks,  but I soon found out that I was mistaken.  The snow had drifted into nearly four foot drifts all the way to the creek, and it was everything I had not to slip and fall in!  I did end up stepping in the water for a split second one time that I slipped, but my ugg boot didn't soak all the way through, and I was able to finish up my task and head back to camp.

When I got there Mike had transformed the camp into a veritable shangra-la!  
Mike in our newly designed shelter!

Mike cooked us up some grub, starting with a cup of boiling hot coffee, and ending our two course meal with instant oatmeal.  I decided that we needed to thaw out our Vibrams, since ugg boots are not known for their traction, so I started by putting them under my sleeping pad while I sat on it.  This did not work!

  Our frost-bitten Fivefingers

I then tried putting them in-between my legs and they started to thaw out.  I was not looking forward to hiking back out in them, but what choice did I have?  I needed the traction for the steep parts, and my uggs just wouldn't hack it!

We hung out around the site a little longer, drinking warm drinks and enjoying the quiet and stillness of escape.  After the snow stopped during the night, it really was peaceful.  I bet we were the only ones in the entire wilderness that night!

around 10 AM we decided that we better head out, not knowing how long a trek through two-three foot snow drifts would take.  We packed up our stuff, put on our freezing wet five fingers, and headed out!

The drifts were tough!  I doubt that snow shoes would have helped at all since it was all fresh powder.  We kept on going, knowing that we only had a few miles until it was all down hill.  

Me on the trail back to the car. Tough going!

The trail was steep from the drifts and we had a few scares.  It was really difficult to see where the trail went, and if we hadn't been so familiar with the trail, I doubt we would have made it out the same way!

A pic of the "Trail". HAHAHA

However, me, being the awesome tracker that I am (sarcasm), got us to the wilderness boundary unscathed.  We were cold and tired, but we knew it was only another three+ miles to the car, so we decided to keep going. Like we had any other choice!

Me at the wilderness boundary

Mike

We hoofed it as fast as we could, not wanting to take our time due to the impending snow, and also our freezing toes.  Mike began to have cramps again so I took off and told him I would wait for him at the creek.

I only waited about ten minutes (he was as miserable as I was!)  and we took on our final challenge of the trip.  We had decided previously to just walk across the creek through the water since the car was a mere 100 yards further on.  Did I mention that it was strait up the side of a hill 100 yards further on!  With freezing wet feet we climbed the last steep embankment and dumped our packs by the car.  Never have I felt so close to frost bite!  My feet were completely numb!  I hurried to start the car and get the heater going so we could sit for a few minutes with the heat blasting our feet.  

The Car upon arrival

Mike's frozen feet while sitting on the bumper

All in all,  I learned allot!  

Don't go hiking when there is a blizard/storm warning, unless you have full mountaineering gear!

Don't wear Vibram Five Fingers in two-three feet of snow. Its coooold!

Don't pitch your A-frame tarp so close to the ground,  it will get now piled up on it and turn into an ice cave!

I had a great time regardless of the many difficulties and would do it again in a heart beat!  Well, maybe not again, but I would consider it!  HAHAHAHA

Gear to get:

  • Snow Shoes
  • Crampons
  • Mountaineering boots
  • Gortex pants
  • Waterproof shell jacket
  • Four season tent
  • 1 liter bladder bag
  • Heavy weight merano wool base layer
  • Wool Stocking Cap
  • Wool Socks
Until the next adventure!  Thanks Mike!

Andy



No comments:

Post a Comment