Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...

Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...
Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...

Friday, February 4, 2011


I recently started seriously considering my gear and my dilemma with what to buy and when and what kind and........you get the idea.  So I made a gear list that would take into consideration everything that I will need for a trip, and some things that I just want!  The end product looked something like this!
ANDY’S 25-pound, 3-Day Gear Checklist
CLOTHES                                WEIGHT in OUNCES
___  extra Injinji socks     $16                         3.77
___  thermal bottom REI m/w Polartec Powerdry $33  5.11 
__x_  fleece gloves                                    1.62          
___  REI windstop fleece cap (covers ears & neck)     1.62      
___  primaloft vest Revelcloud REI  $100               9.50
___  primaloft pullover sweater                     11.70
___  rain/wind parka Marmot Preclip $70           12.88
___  rain/wind pants Marmot Preclip   $90               7.80          
                              Price Subtotal: $310
                            Subtotal for Clothes: 54.08

SHELTER & SLEEPING SYSTEM
___  Big Agnes Encampment +15 sleeping Bag $119  59.00
__x_ Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Sleeping Pad   24.00        
_x__ Coleman Exponent                            48.00     

Price Subtotal: $119    
Subtotal for Shelter & Sleeping System:      131.00

PACKING
___  REI Flash 65 Pack (Approx. 4000 C. IN.) $170 50.00
___  Sea to Summit Ultralight Packcover $40        4.00
__x_  stuff sacks, freezer bags, & garbage sacks         
    (not already accounted for),                   3.23
                                   _______
                            Price Subtotal: $210
                          Subtotal for Packing:   57.23

COOKING & WATER
__x_  katadyn hiker water filter w/stuff sack     11.00              
___  2 platypus 2-liter water bottles $20               8.00
___  REI Ti-wear cook pot w/lid (1.3 liter) $50    6.00
___  mesh “kitchen” bag     (includes condiments,
          lexan spoon, toothbrush & powder)        2.80
___  MSR Whisperlite International $90            12.20 
___  matches (backup for cook stove)                    0.35
__x_  bear bag                                       3.49  ___  MSR 20 oz fuel bottle $18                     5.25    
___  REI Ti-wear Double walled Mug 10 oz $33           3.90                              _______ 
Price Subtotal: $211     
Subtotal for Cooking (without food & fuel):      52.99  

NAVIGATION
___  suunto a1000 compass                         0.78
___  maps (2 @ .2 oz per map)                    0.40
___  paper, pencil                               0.49
___  Black Diamond Storm w/ 4 AAA   $50       3.90    
_x__ Mini maglight                              4.10
                                   _______ 
Price Subtotal: $50        
Subtotal for Navigation:       9.67         

ESSENTIALS & OTHER ITEMS
___  first aid kit                                   6.00    
__x_ Multitool                                    1.90
___  waterproof matches                         ~
___  Magnesium w Flint                              0.75    
___  skin-so-soft bug guard/sun block          3.00
___  sting-eze bug-bite/bee-sting relief          0.78
___  spf-30 lip balm                             0.35
___  expedition sewing kit                        0.74
___  toilet paper                                  1.50
                                   _______ 
    
Price Subtotal: N/A
Subtotal for Essentials & Other:    15.2        

                                   _______ 
                 
Price Subtotal of Subtotals: $900 (ish)
Subtotal of Subtotals:     320.17 (20.2 LBs)
        

  PACK WEIGHT AT START OF 7-DAY OUTING NOT
  INCLUDING FOOD, WATER & FUEL:  20.2 lbs
 
==============================================================


___  Fuel for 3 days:                                 3.5 oz of fuel + canister)                      6.65
___  Food for 3 days (20 oz per day x 2 "full" days):  40.00
     (first morning, fill-up with high-octane food
      at the trailhead & the third night, feast at the
      local pizzeria)
___  Water                                    32.00
     (average amount carried at any given time)
                                   _______
                    

Subtotal Weight in Ounces:     78.65 oz

__________________________________________________________________
TOTAL PACK WEIGHT AT START OF 3-DAY OUTING: 25.12 LBs

                                              ================
THE GEAR I WOULD BE WEARING

This is typically what I would be wearing while carrying the 25 pound pack.
                                                  Weight in Ounces
_x__ cotton or wool baseball cap                 2.00       
___  REI polartec powerdry Zip-T    $37          4.85    
___ Convertible pant Columbia Silver RidgeII $55 6.25
_x__ Injinji Smartwool Crew Socks                3.77 
__x_Vibram Fivefinger Treksport shoes            12.50
___ REI Peak UL Treking Poles $89               15.40

Price Subtotal: $181
Weight Subtotal: 44.77 oz

_______________________________________________________

Total Cost: $1,081
Total Weight: 27.92 LBs


Now the weird thing about it is......how much can gear really cost?!?!?!  My total is just over a thousand dollars and will most likely climb above that once I get into buying the little things.  

The thing I found most interesting was that the clothes section came out to be more expensive than any other section.  But, I guess that if I want the best quality, that will last me the longest amount of time, I better shoot for the moon, right?  I know that I could cut cost easily by substituting for quality, but I have never been that guy.  Hell, I used to save my allowance for months at a time when I was a kid in order to buy that must have G.I. Joe battle tank.  I could have bought the cheap army figures at the dollar store, but I'm all about quality.  

The funny thing is that I wasn't raised that way.  My dad (bless his heart) always had some new (old) car or van that he had picked up, and it worked fine, but really, there is nothing like quality. I will give it to my dad though.  He always sold those cars/boats/etc. for more than he go them for, making it worth his while.  Sadly backpacking gear is not like a car or boat, and it loses value even quicker.  Most of the stuff that got stolen from my car was worth absolutely nothing, but it had lasted me years.  

All in all I think I will be better off with quality instead of quantity, even though it may break the bank! ;-)  

The Items on the list checked with an x are the ones that I have so far.  Not very many as you can see, but I am slowly working away at them and should have everything by the end of next year if I keep at it and sacrifice.  

No more Sake or Sushi for this woodsman!  I guess its Del Taco for the next year,  and Coors Light,  which doesn't brighten my spirits at all.  But in the end, it will be worth it Damn It!  

When I can truly look at my backpacking wall in my garage and be satisfied will be the day that I quit backpacking!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment