Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...

Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...
Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hammock Vs. Tent

So I have been debating the Ultralight backpacking frame of mind and after my last hike have decided that I need to rehash my philosophy of backpacking.  How to cut weight quickly and limit the amount of gear that I carry.

I think the first place to start is with my tent.  I have a Coleman Exponent Inyo 2 and it is super light and easy to set up and maintain.  I have had it since high school, a gift from my dad who upgraded to a larger ten.  It weighs in around three lbs and works well as a 3 season shelter.  I have even used it in the snow but was pretty chilly due to the wind chill factor.

The tent is great but I would like to cut down my total weight and if I started using a hammock I think that the benefits would outweigh the downfalls.  A hammock is light weight (around two lbs) and it eliminates the need for a sleeping pad which would decrease my pack weight by another two lbs (the weight of my Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad).

The problem with the hammock is that it is free standing and there is no insulation between you and the ground, so the wind factor would play a big part in its performance as far as warmth is concerned.  The other issue is..... where can my damn dog sleep?  He isn't hairy enough to sleep on his own outside so I would have to bring a shelter for him too (add two + lbs).

I think the best way to switch to a hammock is to get 1. a new lighter sleeping bag, one for the summer (20 degree) and one for the winter (5 degree) and 2. get or make a small tarp shelter for my dog that can be set up under my hammock.  This would take care of the temperature issue and also lighten my load since I have a heavy 4 lb sleeping bag at the moment, and also give my dog a place to rest his head.

So now I need to buy a hammock rig, new sleeping bag, and also materials for a dog shelter.  Ahhhhh! Why is camping so expensive.  I wish sometimes that I could sell all my stuff at my house, buy great camp gear, and move permanently into the back country, subsisting on trout and the local wildlife until I die old and happy.

But, since I have a wife and family the best thing to do is prioritize.

1.  Buy a new lighter sleeping bag
2. Buy a hammock rig
3.  Buy/make a dog shelter

When all is said and done I think that I will be ahead about 2 lbs and decrease the overall size of my load as well, leaving room for more booze and reading material.  Both things that you can never have enough of while on the trail.

The next piece of gear to scrutinize when converting to a light weight setup is my mess kit.  I currently use a cheap coleman single burner stove, not the one you are think of, the really cheap one!  That screws onto the propane container which weighs around two lbs! In total my stove and fuel probably weighs around three lbs.  Mu pot setup is also heavy, but I have decreased the weight considerably by only bringing the largest pot and the pan, eliminating the smaller pot. I also bring a aluminim mug for hot beverages, but it seems a bit unnecessary. i recently purchased a plastic spork/spatula combo that is great and light.  I think that switching to a small alcohol stove and getting titanium cookware and a titanium double-walled mug with lid will solve my weight problem.

Rubbing Alcohol is cheap and easy to doll out and ration once you have tested the burn time, so I won't have to bring so much fuel or be stuck with a given amount.  Titanium is really light, lasts forever, and if you blacken the bottoms of the pots, conducts heat just as well as a pre-blackened heavier metal pot.  I plan to use stove top paint to blacken my new titanium pots when I get them.  This way my mess kit will all fit into the larger pot, including fuel, pan, mug w lid, and utensils.  I may even have room for some other items like coffee and condiments/spices.  I think that this will unburden me by another two or even three lbs.

1.  get alcohol stove
2. get titanium pot and pan
3. get titanium double walled mug with lid

Next on the list is clothes.  I have no backpack-specific clothes, being that I was raised to make due with wha you have.  I use thermals that are two sizes two small for me for crying out loud! Just because I'm cheap.  My outfit on any given trip (minus winter expeditions) consists of cargo shorts, t-shirt, thermals top and bottom, Injinji Socks (since I switch to barefooting it), Vibram KSO's, beanie, Elastic baseball cap, and a wind breaker.  I generally don't need rain gear but would like some, and I also would like new thermals, light weight hiking shorts, a fleece lined wind breaker, and gaiters for winter wear.  These are a   start and from there I can slowly get other clothing more specific to the seasons.  this will take a bunch of weight off of my pack and keep me warmer and more comfortable.

Enough planning for today,  there is always tomorrow.  Shows how much I get out there!!!



Alcohol

No comments:

Post a Comment