Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...

Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...
Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Fabled "Bear Knife"

Every woodsman worth their salt carries a bear knife.  Not a knife specific for killing bears, mind you, but a large multipurpose knife that can, if the moment presents itself, be used to slay a bear.  Jeremiah Johnson had one,  Davy Crocket as well, so don't tell me that you don't want to carry one when you are out in the woods and hear something rustling in the brush!!!

All humor aside, the knife that I have dubbed, "The Bear Knife" has proven itself time and again for me in the back country.  It is my Cold Steel Bushman Bowie Knife and it is the best and most useful multipurpose knife that I have ever had!

When I say "Multipurpose" I'm sure that you immediately think of a swiss army knife.  In all reality, a swiss army knife should not even be called a knife, due to the fact that the blade provided is only two inches long, non-serrated, unlocking, and will most likely break when you try to use it.  I would say it falls in the category of "multitool."  To quote the legend that is Crocodile Dundee, "That ain't a knife.....this is a knife!"

Before I purchased the now bowie model of the Cold Steel Bushman, I had the original, and what a knife it was! My Dad and I bought a pair of them from the local gun show and ever since I have carried it (or a version of it) while packing.  The company Cold Steel had not been highly recognized for its quality work yet and for 15 dollars I walked away with an awesome tool.

The qualities of the Bushman are numerous.  It is made from carbon steel and coated with non-reflective black paint.  The handle of the knife is also a part of the blade, since it is made from one solid piece of metal that is forged, the handle twisted away from the blade and bent to resemble a grip.  The center of the handle is hollow, making giving it another use.  A spear head.  It can be fastened to the top of a stick simply by jamming it onto the top!  It has a nice heft to it and can double as a machete if being used in thick brush, since the blade is approximately 7 inches in length. It can also be used for digging due to its wide blade, along with the everyday uses that a knife can be put to.  The carbon steel holds its edge like no other knife out there!

The feeling I get when I'm packing my Bushman is one of security and pride.  I have the biggest knife of anyone out here, and other than the gun toting maniacs,  I am the most prepared for an encounter like that of Anthony hopkins in the film, The Edge.  Imagine if he had had a Bushman!  He wouldn't have had to set all those traps and blacken the points of all those spears.  He could have simply said, "here I am bear,  come and get me!"

However, when I'm out in the woods I always carry a backup knife (my CRKT M-16 Special Forces, thanks dad!) and also a multitool. It seems like a little much but I'm definitely prepared for anything.  I think that I am going to start learning how to shoot a bow and then I will have another addition to my arsenal.  A bow can be allot of fun and also a great tool for hunting/fishing.  Since I am in the movie quoting business during this post I can't help but think of that scene from that movie with the banjo where the guy shoots the hillbilly who has a shot gun through the chest with a bow.  Come on! Give me a break!  I had a long day at work and can't think of the name of it.  Oh.... Deliverance.  That was it.  A bow would be a great addition to the "Bear knife."  You can't ever be over prepared for a trip into the wilderness!

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying these outdoor adventure posts by this Son of my own heart!

    ReplyDelete