Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...

Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...
Many are the Plans in a Mans Heart...

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Barefoot Shoes

So, after my most recent hike my fairly new fivefinger KSO's had already torn a seam on the top of the left big toe.  I returned them and since Vibram has a 90 day return policy I got a new pair.  In general they are great and in the three weeks that I had the first pair I hiked a total of probably 30 miles in rough and rocky conditions.  The sole looked brand new still and the only issue was that torn seam.

I have been debating which pair to get next based on my experience so far and I think that I will probably invest in the somewhat new Trek Sport, which combines the thicker sole of the KSO Trek and the top mesh of the original KSO.  Thus, better breathability and flexibility with a tougher and more padded sole that will allow me to traverse more rocky terrain.  In theory.

There are not many reviews out there on any Vibram Fivefingers, and I haven't stumbled upon one yet that discusses their use in the kind of terrain or application that I have used them in.  They definitely connect you to the earth and allow you to experience it the way we should experience it.  With wonder and at a slower pace that allows us to take in all of Gods creation one step at a time.

My friend Mike bought some Bikilas this week and is going to use them for running and the gym.  The should work out well in that capacity, but he will have to get another pair of KSO's or Trek's to be able to hike in.   The sole on them is not thick enough to last.

The great thing about the sole of the original KSO is that it is simple but gives great traction on boulders and rocky terrain.  The razor sipping gives the traction, even in wet conditions.  It is also thin enough that you feel everything (and I mean everything!), from pointy sharp rocks and boulders to soft sand and grass underfoot.  Its just like walking barefoot only you don't need to worry (too much)  about cutting your feet on anything.  Really Great!

The Trek Sport or Trek has a thicker sole and will not give as good a sensation when walking through different terrain, but they will protect my feet, again in theory, from getting bruised when on the trail for a longer period of time or when burdened by a thirty to forty pound pack.  You can really feel the extra weight in your feet when packing and the chance of nailing my heel on a sharp bit of rock is increased because I'm not moving as fast and thus not using the shoe the way it was designed.  Heel toe instead of front pad only as designed.

The greatest sensation I have experienced in my KSO's was in a grassy meadow high in the Yosemite back country. The grass was about knee high and I had just hiked six miles the day before in hard rocky terrain.  It felt amazing.  The cool crunchy grass under my toes was awesome.  I wanted to stay there forever, but had to get back to camp to do some fishing to feed my belly.  Which turned out to be unsuccessful anyway.

The next test will be how do they stand up in colder climates.  I plan to go on a few trips this fall and winter and even late spring and I am interested to see how they can keep up with snow and rainy conditions.  My feet were not cold on my maiden voyage, though the temperatures were at a low in the high thirties at night.  I think with Injinji toe socks they will be fine in cooler weather but rain will not be so great I feel.  When walking through moist dirt or grass the shoes absorb water through the toe cracks and into the toe sockets, making my feet cold and wet.  If in rain they will be constantly wet.  I have thought that the KSO Flow will be better for these types of applications, but have not had the funds to try them or any other model out yet.  Hopefully I will win the lottery and be able to by a pair of each model!

Well, we will see what happens next. I'll write again next time I feel the need to discuss a trip or a dilemma which pertains to a piece of gear.  Until next time.

Andy out. ( I wish I was out.....in the woods :-(

1 comment: